To assist in education our clients on the different veterinary brands we carry, and their benefits, we will be celebrating a product of the month! Each month we will highlight one of our many amazing veterinary brand diets in hospital, providing information and sales or rebates to help you find the best diet for your pets.
Product Of The Month - Prevention!
Flea and tick season is closer than you think!
How does my pet get fleas and ticks?
- Fleas prefer humid and shady areas, such as under a leaf. They will jump onto you or your pet as you walk by.
- Ticks prefer humid and shady areas such as woods, shrubs, weeds, or tall grass. Ticks will grab onto you or your pet as you walk by, they cannot jump.
Why do I need to prevent fleas and ticks?
- Discomfort/Irritation – The bites from these parasites will cause skin irritation and, in some cases, can cause severe allergic reactions.
- Disease Prevention – Both ticks and fleas can transmit diseases and other parasites affect both humans and animals:
a) Fleas – Flea-borne typhus, flea-borne spotted fever, bartonellosis, and tapeworm.
b) Ticks – Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis, babesiosis, and rocky mountain spotted fever. These are diseases commonly found to be carried by ticks in North America.
What time of the year is prevention necessary?
- Fleas and ticks have the potential to become active when the temperature is above 0°C, however, flea and tick season is generally considered March to November.
What should I use to prevent fleas and ticks?
- There are many products available to help with the prevention of fleas and ticks. Our veterinary staff will be happy to discuss the options with you and decide which one best suits you and your pet.